Steven I. Hochfelsen is a litigation attorney. A member of the American and the Orange County Bar Associations since 1986, Mr. Hochfelsen has handled business litigation of every description through trial. In recent years, Mr. Hochfelsen has represented major commercial landlords, developers, nationwide manufacturers and distributors of consumer goods, insurance companies and defense contractors in various state and federal court cases. His recent cases involve real property lease disputes, construction litigation, bankruptcy, general commercial contracts, unfair competition and trade secrets, insurance and bad faith issues and commercial fraud claims.
Mr. Hochfelsen has extensive experience in Federal and state court representation of clients in connection with breach of contract and fraud claims, landlord-tenant disputes and product defect claims. He has successfully defended building materials manufacturers, importers and distributors against claims brought by contractors alleging that the materials were unsuitable for their intended purpose and seeking to establish liability for more than $650,000 in claims for project reconstruction. Judgment was entered in favor of the defendant manufacturers, importers and distributors and against the plaintiff contractors. He successfully prosecuted a case on behalf of a commercial building owner involving more than $2 million in damages as the result of defective glass used in the construction of an all-glass building.
Mr. Hochfelsen was a member of the trial team that defended a $900 million class action lawsuit brought against a major life insurance company and its parent corporation with respect to alleged investment/insurance contracts sold by the insurance company. The majority of the class claims were dismissed at trial, ultimately resulting in a favorable settlement. In addition, Mr. Hochfelsen successfully defended a major Orange County real estate holding corporation against contract claims and mechanic's liens filed as a result of construction disputes in connection with a shopping center renovation. He is also one of a very few attorneys in California who have been able to obtain a summary judgment against an insurer on the ground that the insurer acted in bad faith when it refused to defend its client in litigation.
Mr. Hochfelsen is a resident of Huntington Beach, California.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Mr. Hochfelsen is a former member of the Costa Mesa Mayor's Commission on the Redevelopment of Rea Center and the former Chairman of the Public Action Committee of the Environmental Board for the City of Huntington Beach. He was the 1993-94 Chairman of the Precinct Organizing Committee for the 67th Assembly District. He has spoken on Litigation topics for the California State Bar.
Areas of Practice
- Real Property Lease Disputes
- Unlawful Detainer
- General Commercial Contracts
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets
- Bad Faith Issues
- Commercial Fraud Claims
- California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- Honors: Hawaii Student's Law Caucus
- Law Review: Technical Editor and Associate Editor, Hastings International and Comparative Law Journal, 1985 - 1986
- University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1983
- Honors: Journalism & Political Science, Honors Program
- University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Honors and Awards
- Carol Burnett Award for Outstanding Journalism, University of Hawaii
- Reader's Digest Journalism Award, University of Hawaii
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Association of Business and Trial Lawyers, Member
- Costa Mesa Mayor's Commission of Rea Center, Member
- Environmental Board for the City of Huntington Beach, Public Action Committee, Former Chairman
- Precinct Organizing Committee, 67th Assembly District, Chairman, 1993 - 1994